What are your preferred sleeping positions? Are you a stomach sleeper, back sleeper, or a side sleeper? Do you currently suffer from neck pain or back pain?
These are questions you need to think about when you’re choosing the best pillow for your needs. The true purpose of a pillow is to facilitate spinal alignment so you can sleep comfortably without back or neck pain.
While most people automatically drift towards the softest pillows, they can actually lead to severe back pain. If you’re a stomach sleeper, you should definitely consider choosing thin pillows.
But the choice isn’t as simple as picking the thinnest pillows and moving on. There’s a lot more that goes into it. In this article, we discuss how to find the best thin pillow and we review the thinnest pillows in 2019.
Benefits of Thin or Flat Pillows
Thin or flat pillows have numerous advantages and benefits:
- If you’re a stomach sleeper, you need a pillow that keeps your neck in a neutral position. Most pillows block your airways and lead to spinal misalignment. However, the thinnest pillows can keep your head aligned with the rest of your body.
- Thick pillows are also unsuitable for back sleepers because they throw your head forward. Thin pillows, in comparison, keep your neck in a neutral position.
- Thick pillows also anchor your head and neck deeply, which leads to the formation of premature wrinkles around your neck. By using thin pillows, you can also avoid the formation of wrinkles and deep lines.
- Thin pillows are generally also quite firm, which prevents your head from sinking into the pillow. This helps keep your head stable and thus avoid issues with spinal misalignment.
Who are the Thinnest Pillows Ideal for?
The following is a brief overview of the value of thin pillows according to sleeping positions.
- Stomach Sleepers: Thin pillows are perfect for stomach sleepers because they keep your neck in a neutral position.
- Back Sleepers: Thin pillows may or may not be suitable for back sleepers. You have to determine what’s the specific loft size at which your head rests at a neutral position.
- Side Sleepers: Thin pillows are not at all suitable for side sleepers. When you sleep on your side, there’s quite a bit of a gap between the mattress and your head so you need a pillow that can cover that distance.
Factors to Consider when Buying Thin or Flat Pillows
Selecting a thin pillow isn’t as simple as going for the thinnest pillows and calling it a day. The following are some important factors to consider before making a decision.
As mentioned in the previous section, different sleeping positions have different loft size needs. You need to consider what’s your sleeping position and purchase a thin pillow accordingly.
Thin pillows should have a loft height ranging from 2 inches to 3 inches. The exact loft height you choose will depend on your sleeping position and the height at which you can achieve optimal spinal alignment.
Are you a hot sleeper? If so, you need to find a thin pillow that’s also breathable thanks to qualities like a ventilated design, features that encourage air circulation, breathable covers, etc. This will prevent you from getting night sweats and help you sleep comfortably.
Top 3 Thinnest Pillows of 2019
Elite Rest Slim Sleeper — Best Flat Pillows
Elite Rest Slim Sleeper is one of the best flat pillows on the market with a loft height measuring only 2.75 inches. This is a natural latex foam pillow, which makes it fairly firm as well. As such, once you rest your head on it, you can rest assured it will support your weight and your head won’t sink in. This feature is crucial for back sleepers. Furthermore, this pillow also has ergonomically rounded corners, which further supports your neck. This pillow also has a well-ventilated pinhole design that allows air circulation and prevents night sweat.
Belly Sleep Memory Foam Pillow — Best Memory Foams Pillow
Belly Sleep Memory Foam Pillow is made of hypoallergenic memory foam material. As such, it conforms to the shape of your head and body and offers support to the sensitive pressure points in your body. This pillow has a loft height of only 2.5 inches, which makes it one of the thinnest pillows on the market. As such, it’s ideal for stomach sleepers and back sleepers. It contours your head and neck perfectly to alleviate pressure and keep you comfortable. This pillow is also infused with cooling gel and it comes with a moisture-wicking bamboo-polyester cover — both of these features ensure that the pillow remains cool and they wick away all moisture and sweat to keep you completely dry throughout the night.
Snuggle-Pedic Ultra-Luxury Body Pillow — Best Pillow to Sleep on your Side
Snuggle-Pedic Ultra-Luxury Body Pillow is one of the most comfortable pillows on the market because it’s a shredded memory foam body pillow. This pillow is filled with shredded memory foam, which also makes it highly adjustable. You can add or remove the memory foam to adjust the loft height according to your personal preference, whether you’re a stomach sleeper, back sleeper, or side sleeper. You can also shift the memory foam filling around to add or reduce support from different parts of the body. Furthermore, as a 20×54” body pillow, you can also cuddle against it or use it to support your entire body. This pillow is also perfect for pregnant women because it supports the weight of the fetus and prevents backaches.