Are you suffering from sciatica pain? Do you have a burning or tingling sensation that starts from your lower back and reaches down your legs and keeps you from sleeping comfortably?
Sciatica is a back pain that occurs due to problems in the sciatic nerve. This is a nerve that starts from the lower back and runs down your legs. Incorrect sleeping position can sometimes place pressure on this nerve, which can lead to sciatica pain.
If you’re suffering from sciatica pain, you need to find a therapeutic sciatica pillow that relieves pain. In this article, we discuss which factors to consider when looking for a sciatica pillow and we review the best therapeutic sciatica pillow on the market.
Factors to Consider when Looking for a Sciatica Pillow
If you’re looking for a sciatica pillow or a sciatica seat cushion, you should look for the following factors and qualities:
- Firm Surface: The sciatic nerve pillow should have a firm surface because it provides optimal support and spinal alignment. If you use a soft pillow, your neck or body may sink in, which can lead to spinal misalignment.
- Wedge-Shaped Cushion: With a wedge-shaped cushion, you can imitate the shape of a reclining chair on your bed. This helps prop up your back and you can use another pillow or wedge to elevate your legs, taking the pressure off your lower back.
- Sciatic Nerve Pain Relief Knee Pillow: If you sleep on your side, you can use a contour sciatic nerve pain relief knee pillow that facilitates spinal alignment and takes the pressure off your hips and lower back.
- Sciatica Seat Cushion: If you have to sit upright for long periods, use a sciatica seat cushion to align your lower back and precept sciatica pain.
- Body Pillow: Stomach sleeping is the worst sleep position for sciatica pain because it places tremendous pressure on your back. If you have the tendency to sleep on your stomach, use a body pillow to wedge yourself in place and prevent yourself from stomach sleeping.
Review of the Best Therapeutic Sciatica Pillow
Elite Rest Contour Sleeper — Best Sciatic Nerve Pillow
Elite Rest Contour Sleeper is the best sciatic nerve pillow for side sleepers and back sleepers. This is a contour memory foam pillow and thus has several advantages. As a memory foam pillow, this cushion is designed to conform to the shape of your neck and shoulders, offering optimal support. It measures 4 inches at the higher contour and 2.75 inches at the lower contour. As such, you can rest your neck on the elevated rounded contour of the sciatic nerve pillow, thereby aligning your spine and taking the pressure off your back. This sciatica pillow also comes with a machine washable and removable cover made of cotton that facilitates air circulation to keep you cool.
Xtra-Comfort Bed Wedge Pillow — Best Seat Cushion for Back Pain
Xtra-Comfort Bed Wedge Pillow is a wedge-shaped cushion made of memory foam. This foldable cushion is designed to offer support to your back or your thighs and bottom. It measures 22 inches in width and 12 inches in depth, which means it fits on any bed and you can easily recline against it while sitting or sleeping. This sciatica pillow also helps take the weights off your thighs and it comes with a carry handle for transportation. This sciatica pillow is made of breathable memory foam that contours to the shape of your body and offer great support. It also comes with a removable and machine washable cover made of polyester.
ComfiLife Orthopedic Knee Pillow — Best Sciatic Nerve Pain Relief Knee Pillow
ComfiLife Orthopedic Knee Pillow is the best sciatic nerve pain relief knee pillow — this leg pillow for lower back pain is perfect for side sleepers. When you sleep on your side, you can place this sciatica pillow for sleeping between your knees to take the pressure off your lower back and hips. This sciatica pillow takes the weight off your thighs and keeps you comfortable. It’s made of 100% memory foam and has an ergonomic contoured design that measures 9.8 x 7.9 x 6.3 inches. It also comes with a breathable machine washable cover that facilitates air circulation and breathability.
Snuggle-Pedic Ultra-Luxury — Best Full-Body Sciatica Pillow
Snuggle-Pedic Ultra-Luxury is the best full-body sciatica pillow that prevents you from sleeping on your stomach. As mentioned earlier, if you suffer from sciatica pain, you must avoid stomach sleeping because it places enormous pressure on your lower back. You can cuddle against this full-body sciatica pillow measuring 20 inches by 54 inches to prevent yourself from falling on your stomach. This pillow is made of shredded memory foam, which means you can add or remove the memory foam filling to adjust the loft height as well. As such, you can increase or decrease the loft height according to your sleep preference.
Desk Jockey Lumbar Pillow — Best Special Seat Cushion for Sciatica
Desk Jockey Lumbar Pillow is a special seat cushion for sciatica. If you spend a lot of time sitting on an office chair or driving, this office chair cushion for hip pain can relieve pain and take the pressure off your lower back. When you sit for extended periods, you must ensure that your spine maintains its natural curvature with a little concave hollow around your lower back. This memory foam pillow has a convex shape that pushes your spine in the correct position — ensuring spinal alignment. It comes with a strap you can use to fasten it to your seat for optimal comfort.