If you sleep on your side, you’re like approximately 74% of the population that does the same. Side sleeping is the most common sleeping position and, in many ways, it’s also the best.
Side sleeping helps minimize snoring and prevent or minimize the symptoms of sleep apnea. Furthermore, if you sleep correctly, side sleeping also helps align your spine and neck, thus taking the stress off your pressure points.
However, side sleeping also has drawbacks such as the pins and needles you get due to lack of blood circulation to your arms. And if you don’t use the correct neck pillow for side sleepers, your neck may also crane upwards or downwards, which can lead to immense neck pain and back pain.
In order to reap the benefits of side sleeping and avoid the drawbacks, you need to sleep in the correct position and use the correct neck pillow. In this article, we discuss remedies for neck pain while sleeping and how to find the best side sleeper neck pain pillow on the market.
What is the Proper Way to Sleep to Avoid Neck Pain?
If you sleep on your side, you should generally go for one of the following positions:
- You can sleep your side in the fetal position, i.e., with your knees pulled close to your chest. This position increases the space between your vertebrae and minimizes the risk of disc herniation.
- You can sleep on your side with a contour pillow between your knees to prevent sciatica pain and facilitate spinal alignment between your neck and hips.
Qualities of the Best Pillow for Side Sleepers with Neck Pain
The following is a brief overview of some of the qualities to look for in the best pillow for side sleepers:
- Use a high-loft pillow that can support your neck and cover the distance between the mattress and your head.
- Use feather pillows that conform to the shape of your head.
- Use memory foam that remembers the shape of your neck and shoulders and offers optimal support to your pressure points.
- Use cervical pillows that are uniquely shaped to support your neck if you’re a side sleeper.
- Don’t use still pillows that keep your neck at an awkward angle.
- If you have to sleep sitting up while traveling on a plane or bus, use a horseshoe-shaped pillow around your neck to keep it upright and prevent it from dropping to the side.
- If you have a habit of rolling on your stomach in your sleep, cuddle with a body pillow so your body doesn’t turn over. Sleeping on your stomach is extremely harmful to your neck and back.
Best Neck Pillow for Side Sleepers
Now that you understand how to spot the best side sleeper neck pain pillow, these are some of the best neck pillows for side sleepers on the market currently. Choose wisely!
Contour Memory Foam Pillow By Elite Rest — Best Cervical Pillow
Contour Memory Foam Pillow By Elite Rest is a contour pillow made of premium-grade memory foam. This memory foam pillow is 4 inches high at the higher contour and 2.75 inches high at the lower contour. The elevated contours are ergonomically rounded to follow the gentle curve of your neck. As such, while sleeping on your side, you can rest your neck on the elevated contour — it will cover the distance from the mattress to your head and also support spinal alignment. Furthermore, being a memory foam pillow, it will also mold itself to the contours of your neck and shoulders.
Coop Home Goods Premium — Best Adjustable Neck Support Pillow
Coop Home Goods Premium is the best adjustable neck support pillow made of shredded memory foam. You can add or remove the shredded memory foam filling to alter the pillow’s loft height according to your sleep preference, making it perfect for all sleep positions. The memory foam filling is also held in place thanks to the cross-stitched pockets, thereby keeping it stable. As such, it needs minimal maintenance or re-fluffing.
Snuggle-Pedic Ultra-Luxury Body Pillow — Best Body Pillow
Snuggle-Pedic Ultra-Luxury Body Pillow is a shredded memory foam body pillow. This pillow measures 20 inches by 54 inches, which is long enough for the tallest people to cuddle with. You can add or remove the filling from this pillow as well to adjust the loft height. Furthermore, you can tuck this pillow between your knees or under your lower back to offer pain relief and support your lumbar. This body pillow is also ideal for pregnant women because the pillow can support the weight of the fetus and minimize the risk of back pain.
TravelMate Neck Pillow — Best Neck Pillow for Travelers
TravelMate Neck Pillow is a memory foam neck pillow for travelers and those who have to sleep sitting up. It’s made of high-quality memory foam that’s 3.8 inches thick. It also comes with an elastic strap that makes it easy to carry with your luggage. Furthermore, this pillow is covered in a machine-washable dark blue plush velour cover that’s extremely comfortable and breathable. This pillow will make sure that your head stays upright and prevent neck pain while sleeping in flights and busses.
ViscoSoft Cooling Arctic Gel Pillow — Best Cooling Pillow for Neck Pain
ViscoSoft Cooling Arctic Gel Pillow is the best pillow for neck pain for hot sleepers. Memory foam is one of the best materials out there because it conforms to the shape of your neck and shoulders, thus offering optimal support. However, memory foam can also get pretty hot and lead to night sweats. That’s where this pillow comes in — it’s a high-quality memory foam pillow infused with 2 pounds of wave-flow cooling gel. As such, the cooling gel absorbs your body heat and regulates temperature to make sure you stay cool all night. Furthermore, it’s a contour pillow as well so it offers cervical support to relieve neck pain.