Best Pillow for Sore Neck in 2020 | Physician Advice
Do you suffer from neck and shoulder pain? If so, you’re not alone. One in four adults suffer from neck and shoulder pain, back pain, or all of them at some point in their life. There can be several causes for neck and shoulder pain, but incorrect neck pillow or sleep problems are the most common culprits. This article aims to help you choose the right pillow for neck and shoulder pain, following which we review the best pillow for sore neck in 2020.
Tips on Choosing a Pillow for Neck and Shoulder Pain
- Maintain Proper Sleeping Position: Most sleep problems occur because of incorrect sleeping postures. For optimal neck support, you should be sleeping on your side or your back. Stomach sleepers often suffer from neck and shoulder pain because that position makes you crane your neck sideways at an awkward angle.
- Neck Pillow Style: Most people choose a pillow with the standard shape, i.e., a flat and rectangular pillow. However, you should choose a neck pillow with the ideal shape for your sleeping position. Side sleepers can choose a neck roll. You can also choose a cervical pillow with contoured sides to correct your sleeping position.
- Neck Pillow Material: You must find a neck pillow with the correct material for optimal neck and spine support. Memory foam is the ideal neck pillow material because it conforms to your neck and shoulder shape, ensuring spinal alignment. You can also try natural latex foam or a water pillow.
- Cervical Pillow Height: Loft height is crucial because it determines neck and spine alignment. You must find a cervical pillow with a loft height that supports your sleeping style. Side sleepers should get a high-loft or medium-loft pillow, while stomach sleepers should get a flat or low-loft pillow.
- Replace Your Pillow: Over time, pillows lose their shape, leading to spinal misalignment. You should ideally replace your pillow every two years, or whenever they lose their shape.
- Neck Roll & Lumbar Support: Neck and shoulder pain can also occur because of poor sitting posture or long hours of sitting still. That’s why you should also consider getting neck roll and lumbar support for your chair, such as Tempur-Pedic All-Purpose Pillow and Xtreme Comforts Back Support.
Best Neck Pillows in 2020
Contour Memory Foam Pillow By Elite Rest — Best Contour Pillow
Contour Memory Foam Pillow By Elite Rest is a memory foam pillow suitable for side sleepers and back sleepers. This is a cervical pillow with a contoured and ergonomic design — the sides are contoured to follow the general curvature of the neck and spine. As such, when you lie down on this pillow, it supports your neck and cradles your head, ensuring optimal alignment. Furthermore, the memory foam conforms to your body’s shape, relieving neck and shoulder pain.
Elite Rest Shredded Memory Foam Pillow — Best Adjustable Neck Pillow
Elite Rest Shredded Memory Foam Pillow is the best adjustable neck pillow, suitable for combination sleepers, i.e., people who can sleep in any position. This pillow has shredded memory foam that you can adjust by re-fluffing the pillow, whenever necessary. As such, you can also adjust the loft height mid-sleep, making it suitable for people who toss and turn in their sleep. You can also add or remove the shredded memory foam filling to maintain optimal loft height for your sleeping style and position. It comes with a machine-washable bamboo-cotton cover that ensures optimal air circulation and breathability.
Tempur-Pedic All-Purpose Pillow — Best Neck Roll
Tempur-Pedic All-Purpose Pillow is the travel-sized and peanut-shaped pillow that can be used as a neck roll, lumbar support, or leg spacer, making it one of the most versatile travel pillows. It’s made of adaptive tempur, a material that never loses its shape and offers optimal support. You can place this under your neck either while sleeping or sitting, and it ensures you maintain optimal neck and spine alignment. It has a diameter of 4.5 inches, perfect for maintaining spinal alignment.
EPABO Contour Memory Foam Pillow — Best Cervical Pillow
EPABO Contour Memory Foam Pillow is a memory foam cervical pillow, suitable for people with neck and shoulder pain. This memory foam pillow provides therapeutic pain relief for people who often wake up feeling sore. It had an ergonomic and contoured design that doesn’t just maintain spinal alignment but actively corrects your sleeping posture. It comes with a hypoallergenic, machine-washable, and breathable rayon/polyester pillowcase.
UTTU Sandwich Pillow — Best Adjustable Cervical Pillow
UTTU Sandwich Pillow is an innovative cervical pillow that combines the best aspects of a fixed contoured memory foam pillow and a shredded memory foam pillow. This pillow consists of several contour memory foam layers, so you can add or remove the layers to adjust the loft height. It provides ergonomic support for neck and shoulder pain relief, ensuring optimal adjustability for different sleeping positions. It has a loft height ranging from 2.8” to 4.7”, depending on the number of memory foam layers used.
Do you wake up feeling sore or suffer from neck and shoulder pain? If so, you must find the best pillow for sore neck in 2020. However, finding the best neck and shoulder pain pillow isn’t quite as simple — you must find the best pillow for your specific sleeping habits. Contour Memory Foam Pillow By Elite Rest is the best cervical pillow for side sleepers, while Elite Rest Shredded Memory Foam Pillow is the best neck pillow for combination sleepers who toss and turn in their sleep.