Do you fall asleep on your side curled up with your blanket? This is actually a pretty common sleeping position. Adults tend to favor side sleeping which is good news because it is the recommended sleeping position and has so many benefits for you. Lying down to sleep on your side on an Elite Rest pillow is the best recipe for a good night’s sleep!
Benefits of Side Sleeping
Sleeping on your side has the following benefits to your body and your quality of sleep;
- It can reduce pain in both your joints and lower back as well as help with chronic pain.
- Snoring can be drastically reduced when you sleep on your side.
- Research does point to better overall brain health for side sleepers.
- Side sleeping helps your digestive system to function better which improves overall gut health.
Disadvantages of Side Sleeping
There are few drawbacks when it comes to sleeping on your side, including;
- Your body may need to sleep in different positions. Sleeping in the same position every night can cause pain in parts of your body.
- If you tuck your chin to close to your chest, it can result in neck pain.
- The chance of shoulder pain is increased when you sleep on your side.
The best pillows for side sleepers who have neck pain
1. The Pancake Pillow: This is the perfect pillow for the whole family, including stomach and back sleepers. This pillow arrives like a stack of pancakes with layers that can easily be removed or added depending on your needs. Some side sleepers prefer to opt for a thin pillow while others like to sleep on a higher pillow. The advantage of this kind of pillow is that you can add in a layer if you are no longer sleeping comfortably to make sure your neck and shoulders are supported while you sleep. It also reduces the chances of shoulder pain and helps to support your neck while you are sleeping.
2. Elite Rest Shredded Memory Foam Pillow. Everyone has their own preferences when it comes to the height of their pillow. Some people opt for higher pillows, like the Elite Rest memory foam pillow. It is 6 inches high and still provides adequate neck support while you are sleeping on your side. Not only will you be incredibly comfortable while sleeping on this pillow, but you could also possibly find your breathing is improved and snoring reduced. If you are suffering from neck pain, sleeping on this pillow will help to ease the pain.
3. Cosium Cervical Pillow. At first glance, this pillow does not look like it is going to offer any support or comfort at all. Looks can be deceiving and this pillow offers you natural pain relief like no other. It will alleviate your neck and shoulder pain as well as help to reduce that tingling sensation you sometimes feel in your arms/hands. The design of the pillow cradles your head while it soothes your aching necking and shoulders and is ideal for people sleeping on their sides. The cutouts on the side have been designed as a place to position your arms when you sleep on your side. Cervical pillows are not ordinary pillows and if you are dealing with chronic back or neck pain, you want to sleep on this pillow.
4. Xtreme Comforts Shredded Memory Foam Pillow. This award-winning pillow promises to let you fall asleep quicker and sleep for longer! It is made from CertiPUR-US certified foam that meets the highest safety standards while offering you unrivaled comfort. The memory foam conforms to the unique shape of your head and neck, offering you personalized support while you sleep. The shredded foam means you can manipulate the pillow until you find your sweet spot to prevent tossing and turning during the night. This pillow also helps to align your spine which will not only reduce back pain but will also prevent insomnia, migraines and snoring.
5. UTTU Sandwich Pillow. This is another cervical pillow but this one has an adjustable loft. There are two contours to this pillow but you can remove the middle memory foam layer to get two, lower contours. Having the ability to change the height of your pillow is priceless, it allows you complete control over your comfort and support. The UTTU dynamic foam used in this pillow is unlike any other, it will not go hard, loose firmness or become uncomfortable. The contours of this pillow allow for cervical support while cradling the head comfortably when you sleep on your side.
These are our tried and tested recommendations when it comes to pillows for side sleepers with neck pain. You will definitely find your perfect pillow on this list but as a bonus, you might also want to check out the Elite Rest Contour pillow, it is also a really great option for side sleepers.