Choosing a Pillow for Neck Problems in 2020 — Physician Advice
Do you wake up with a stiff neck? If so, you’re amongst two-thirds of all people who deal with chronic neck pain or a stiff neck. Most people think a stiff neck is a common side-effect of aging, but that’s not necessarily true. Sure, aging does make you more prone to neck pain, but you can avoid it by maintaining a proper sleeping posture and using the correct sleeping pillow for neck problems. Your pillow must support the neck while sleeping, keeping it perfectly aligned with your spine. If your pillow doesn’t support the neck like it’s supposed to, you may suffer from a stiff neck. However, there isn’t one ideal pillow for neck problems, that works for everyone — you must find a pillow ideal for your personal preferences. We have compiled a list of some of the best types of pillow suitable for different people — once you go through these, you’ll surely find the ideal pillow for reducing neck pain.
Best memory foam pillow for side sleepers and back sleepers.
If you’re a side sleeper or back sleeper, you need a high loft pillow that supports the neck in a neutral position. While sleeping on your side, the pillow should cover the distance between the mattress and neck, ensuring spinal alignment. That’s why you need a pillow with a loft height greater than 4 inches. You should also consider a memory foam pillow because it conforms to your body’s shape, reducing neck pain.
Our Selection: Contour Memory Foam Pillow By Elite Rest
Contour Memory Foam Pillow By Elite Rest is the best memory foam pillow if you prefer sleeping on your side for several factors. First, it’s a memory foam pillow that perfectly conforms to your neck shape. Second, it has a loft height ranging from 4-inches to 2.75-inches, creating a gentle curvature that adds greater comfort. It also comes with a breathable, machine-washable cover.
- Pros: The memory foam is ideal for reducing neck pain.
- Cons: As a memory foam pillow, it absorbs and traps body heat, making it slightly hot.
- User Review: “I prefer the single contour under my neck with my head able to lie flat on the other part of the pillow. Also, this pillow has the right amount of firmness so it doesn’t compress excessively. The memory function readily brings the pillow back to its full size.”
Best thin pillow for stomach sleepers.
If you’re a stomach sleeper, you should either avoid pillows altogether or get an extremely thin pillow. Using a thick pillow will make your neck angle upwards and sideways in an awkward angle that can cause a stiff neck. Instead, find a thin pillow that’s cool, breathable, and comfortable.
Our Selection: Belly Sleep Gel Infused Memory Foam Pillow
Belly Sleep Gel Infused Memory Foam Pillow is ideal for stomach sleepers because it’s an extremely thin pillow with a loft height of only 2.5 inches. It’s made of memory foam, but it counters the heating tendency by infusing it with a cooling gel layer, ensuring temperature regulation to keep you cool.
- Pros: The cooling gel layer is a brilliant way to avoid memory foam’s tendency to trap heat.
- Cons: Some users believe it’s too firm for comfort.
- User Review: “This pillow has absolutely eliminated my neck pain which neither chiropractic adjustments nor massages could do for me. I am beyond thrilled. I will be buying more. This pillow will go with me when I travel as well.”
Best water pillow with adjustable comfort.
Do you toss and turn in your sleep? Are you a combination sleeper, constantly changing your sleeping posture? If so, you need an adjustable pillow with a loft height you can easily adjust. You should consider getting a water pillow because you can easily add or remove water to increase or decrease the loft height and firmness.
Our Selection: Mediflow Fiber: The First & Original Water Pillow
Mediflow Fiber is the world’s best water pillow, clinically proven to be great at reducing neck pain. It comes with an insulated water pouch surrounded by polyester filling, supporting the neck without any leaks.
- Pros: Extremely successful in reducing neck pain and suitable for all sleeping postures.
- Cons: Can be a bit shaky and wobbly.
- User Review: “This is by far the best pillow anyone could want. The 10 cups of water was perfect for me, and definitely not heavy. The pillow supports my neck no matter how I sleep on it, and yet it is soft and comfortable. Best of all, I wake up pain free. So, yes, buy this Mediflow pillow right away, and follow the instructions on the back of the cardboard, and you’ll have the best sleep ever!”
Best memory foam pillow for any sleeping posture.
If you’re a combination sleeper who doesn’t like water pillows, you can also consider a shredded memory foam pillow. Shredded memory foam can easily be adjusted — you can add or remove the shredded filling to adjust the loft height, making them suitable for all sleeping postures.
Our Selection: Elite Rest Shredded Memory Foam Pillow
Elite Rest Shredded Memory Foam Pillow is the best pillow for combination sleepers who toss and turn in their sleep. When you toss and turn, you can easily re-fluff the pillow to get the loft height and comfort you want. It also comes with a machine-washable cover made of bamboo, making it extremely breathable, so you don’t have to worry about trapping heat.
- Pros: Easy to adjust according to your sleeping posture.
- Cons: Adding and removing the shredded memory foam filling may be a little messy.
- User Review: “I have struggled with sleep for years. Now I sleep through the night and wake up feeling better than ever. I didn’t know I could feel so good at my age!”
Are you looking for a pillow for neck problems in 2020? Well, there are several different types of pillows you can consider according to your sleeping posture. You must get a pillow to support the neck and ensure optimal spinal alignment. If you like sleeping on your side, consider a high-loft memory foam pillow, like Contour Memory Foam Pillow By Elite Rest. If you like sleeping on your stomach, consider a thin pillow, like Belly Sleep Gel Infused Memory Foam Pillow. And if you’re a combination sleeper, you can go with an adjustable memory foam pillow, like Elite Rest Shredded Memory Foam Pillow.