How to Get the Most out of Your Neck Therapy Pillow
Neck pain plagues so many people and often the exact causes are not always clear. However, waking up with neck pain could be the fault of your pillow. Your pillow is not merely something that adds to your comfort levels while you sleep. Your pillow has a much more important role, it ensures that no unnecessary strain is placed on your neck and head by ensuring that they are supported. This is why the height of your pillow is important – if it is too high or too low you will start waking up with a sore neck. If you are waking up each more with a sore neck, it might be time to consider changing your pillow to one like Elite Rests Memory Foam pillow.
We are going to discuss in more detail what neck pain is, how your pillow can help it and what some of the best neck support pillows are.
What Is Neck Pain?
It is estimated that between 25 and 30 percent of people suffer from some form of neck pain every year and this number is increasing. Most cases of neck pain do resolve naturally and without much need for medical intervention but some do become a chronic condition and can negatively impact on your quality of life.
The role of the neck is to bear the weight of the head, which is why it is so susceptible to injury. There are many different reasons you might experience neck pain from chronic conditions like arthritis to something as simple as sleeping in an awkward position. One of the most common causes of neck pain today is poor posture due to people sitting for extended periods at their computers.
If you do suffer from neck pain, a pain in your neck is not the only symptom, you may experience some of the following as well;
- Neck pain during repetitive activities
- Muscle spasms
- Poor sleep
- Limited range of motion
If you are experiencing these symptoms and have not injured yourself, try swapping out your pillow for a new, more supportive one. It may just help to ease or eliminate the neck pain.
Choosing the Right Neck Therapy Pillow
You might currently take your pillow for granted but replace it with the perfect pillow and it can be life changing. The support your pillow provides will help your body to relax and ease the pressure on your neck, allowing you to fall asleep and stay asleep.
How do you find the perfect pillow?
Before just adding the first pillow you find to your cart, consider the following;
- The loft of the pillow. This refers to the height of the pillow and will determine the angel of your head in relation to your spine. If the pillow you are sleeping on is not the right height your neck will be forced to bend to an unnatural angle and this is what causes pain and discomfort. The perfect pillow aligns your head and neck with your spine.
- The support the pillow offers. Support is a very important factor to consider. The pillow you chose to sleep on must not leave a space under your neck but must support it while you are sleeping.
- The firmness of the pillow. The position you sleep in, the height of your pillow and how heavy your head is will all determine the firmness of your pillow. If you opt for a pillow that is too firm it may result in pressure points while a pillow that is too soft won’t support your head properly.
- The shape of the pillow. This shape of the pillow you chose to sleep on is a personal choice and there are many options to choose from, including sleeping on two pillows, one smaller one under your neck and a main pillow.
- The materials used. Pillows are filled with a wide range of different materials from memory foam to feathers to natural fillings like buckwheat. The type of filling you decide on will depend on the type of support you are looking for.
5 Neck Therapy Pillows
Poor posture is a leading cause of neck pain. If you sit for extended periods, whether it be at a desk or driving, it is a good idea to invest in a quality desk pillow. This particular pillow comes in pretty handy because you can use it while you are working as well as on your daily commute. This little pillow ensures that your ears, shoulders and spine are aligned correctly while you are sitting and in doing so ensures that your posture is correct so that you can work comfortably and pain free.
Supporting pillows can also be luxurious and comfortable. The Coop Home Goods pillow is one such pillow. Not only is this pillow luxurious but it is also adjustable and this means that you can personalise the pillow to meet your unique set of needs. Filled with memory foam, when you sleep on this pillow you can say goodbye to tossing and turning because it makes sure that your head and neck are supported at all times.
Feather pillows are not for everyone. Some people find them too soft but if you are a fan of feather pillows then this is the one to invest in. The pillow combines comfort, support and quality perfectly to create a luxurious pillow that will help to ensure you sleep soundly all through the night. Feather pillows are ideal if you are looking for a pillow that offers medium support for your head and neck.
This unique pillow can be used by everyone in the family that’s to its ability to change in height so easily. Aptly named, this pillow is made up of layers of pillows that can be removed until you find the height and support that you need. Adjustable pillows like this one are such great options when it comes to neck pillows because you play around with them until you find the perfect height.
Stomach sleepers need a very specific type of pillow. The pillow they decide to use must be flat, in fact the flatter the better and this pillow provides that. Sleeping on your stomach is not ideal but if it is your prefered position it is essential to make sure that your neck is not being punished too far back as this is places additional pressure on your neck and can result in pain.
While your pillow may not be the root cause of your neck pain and it may not be able to completely eliminate it, it can go a long way in helping to ease the pain associated with a sore neck. Elite Rest’s Memory Foam pillow does this really well. Deciding on the right pillow is a personal decision but it is important to keep a few factors in mind when picking out your new pillow.