Travel is amazing, isn’t it? Stepping off the plane in a new city or country is so exciting. Even traveling for work can be exciting if you are heading to a new city. Traveling, however, is not so much fun. It can get long and exhausting especially if you have connecting or long haul flights. More often than not when you land at your destination all you want to do is lay your head on a soft, comfortable pillow and sleep.
Sleeping on long-haul flights is not as easy as you might think. Airplane seats aren’t very comfortable. You have other people sitting around you and the noises of the plane to contend with, often making it hard to fall asleep. It is a good idea to try to get some sleep though, even if it is just a couple of hours.
Taking an airplane pillow along will help you find a comfortable position on the airplane so that you can fall asleep. The biggest struggle with sleeping on an airplane is keeping your neck supported so your head doesn’t flop forward or to the side, making you uncomfortable. A good travel pillow will help to keep your head supported and prevent it from falling forward so that you can sleep comfortably while sitting up. Travel pillows generally deflate or fold up to fit conveniently into your hand luggage, making them easy to carry onto the plane.
Let’s put these 5 airplane pillows to the test and see which one comes out as the most comfortable airplane pillow.
This compact little pillow is the perfect travel companion! It will fit easily into your luggage and can even be used when you are not traveling.
- Small and compact, fits easily into your suitcase.
- It is versatile, can be used as a neck roll, lumbar cushion or leg spacer.
- Comes with a carrying strap.
- Made from pressure-relieving material, formulated by NASA
- Washable cover
- Removable cover
- It is very firm which might not work for everyone.
- It is an expensive pillow.
- The zipper is a little bit flimsy
Colours: Navy Blue
At first glance, this pillow doesn’t even look like a pillow but you will be sleeping soundly on all your long hail flights with this gadget. It will make sure your neck stays supported and works well in the car.
- Offers full lateral support.
- Prevents your head falling forward.
- Inflates and deflates, saving space.
- Inflatable neck pillow.
- It has multiple uses.
- Takes some getting used to.
- You can’t easily change positions while sleeping
- Can cause you to overheat
Colors: Range of colors
If you prefer the good, old fashioned U-shaped pillow then this is the one you want to take along with you. This classic shape works wonders to keep your neck supported.
- Built-in removable insert making it adjustable.
- Prevents your head from being pushed forward.
- High-quality memory foam.
- Plush velour cover.
- Machine washable.
- Built-in elastic strap to attach to your carry-on luggage
- Might be too narrow behind your neck
- It can flatten
- It is a hard pillow
Colour: Dark blue
For support for your neck and chin during your travels, the Cabeau is the perfect companion. This pillow is jam-packed with features to make your airplane trip comfortable.
- Supports both sides and front of your head.
- Has a patented seat strap system that eliminates the head drop.
- It doesn’t cause you to overheat.
- Adjustable clasp to support your chin.
- Accommodates different neck sizes.
- Compact travel case
- It is bulky and heavy.
- Not great for a flight that does not have adjustable headrests/
- Headphones might be difficult to use with this pillow
This inflatable pillow is a must-have travel essential for the frequent flyer. If you are going on a long-distance flight, you are going to want to consider this pillow.
- Inflatable pillow
- Comes with free eye mask and earplugs to help you fall asleep faster.
- Deflates easily to compactly store in your luggage.
- Soft surface material
- Not ideal for tall people.
- Open up before leaving, it does have a strong smell.
Despite our best efforts we can’t decide which of these is the best and most comfortable airplane pillow. Everyone has their own preferences and the five pillows we have discussed cover all the bases and more. They all support your neck and are all comfortable, some are easier to use than others but they will all make your travels more comfortable. Adding one of these little pillows to your hand luggage means that when you arrive at your destination you will not be tired but rather you will be refreshed and ready to explore your new destination or attend your conference.