In order for our bodies to be properly aligned while we sleep, we need to have supportive pillows. You can go to any department store and find cheap pillows, but you would be wasting your money to buy them. You are just going to end up having to replace them in a few months when they flatten out and lose their supportive qualities (what little they had in the first place).
What you really need is a quality pillow made from memory form or latex. But, which one is the best option? Let’s take a look at both and see how they compare.
Memory Foam Pillows:
One can say a lot of great things about memory foam. This material, originally designed to be used by NASA for airplane seats, is ideal for pillows, mattresses, and mattress toppers, because it conforms to your body. It will help to keep your spine in alignment, and you will sleep better at night and wake up without nearly as many aches and pains.
Memory Foam Pillow Features:
There are so many great features about memory foam pillows that it can be hard to know where to start. One of the best features is the spinal alignment. Using a memory foam pillow will help to keep your neck straight while you sleep. These are the ideal travel pillows. Other features include:
- Hypo-Allergenic – Anyone who has environmental allergies can benefit from using a memory foam pillow. Not only are they hypo-allergenic, they are also resistant to dust and dust mites. They are easy to clean with just a wipe of a damp cloth.
- Retains Shape – Once you settle in for the night, your pillow will conform to the shape of your head. It will retain this shape until you move or get up. This means that you have total head and neck support all night long.
- Comfort – The support that this type of pillow offers also helps to keep you comfortable. Your head will be snugly enveloped, and you will feel like you are being hugged by your pillow. You won’t want to leave your bed in the morning. These are the most comfortable neck pillow.
- Less Neck Pain – You won’t find yourself waking up with a stiff neck every morning when you sleep on a memory foam pillow. Again, it all has to do with the support offered by this material. This is due once again to the fact that your body will be in better alignment. These are the best pillows for stiff neck.
Pros and Cons of Memory Foam:
There are so many great things to be said about memory foam pillows. But, just because they have many great features, it doesn’t mean that they are totally perfect. Let’s take a look at the pros and cons to consider before buying a new memory foam pillow.
- Snoring – A memory foam pillow keeps your head tilted somewhat upwards. This helps to eliminate snoring. If you tend to snore, your partner will thank you for getting a memory foam pillow.
- Shapes – Memory foam pillows are available in a wide variety of shapes and sizes. You are sure to find one that will suit you perfectly. There are even memory foam neck pillows for extra neck support and extra shoulder support.
- Heat – One of the biggest problem with memory foam is heat retention. They absorb heat, and you may find that your head and neck get sweaty at night and keeping cool is always a priority for most people.
Now it is time to discuss latex pillows. Even though it has only been used in recent years for pillows, latex is quickly becoming one of the most popular pillow materials on the market. There are three types of latex: natural latex that comes from rubber tree sap; synthetic latex which is made from a blend of chemicals; and blended latex which is a mix of synthetic and natural latex.
Features of Latex Pillows:
Plenty of great things can be said about latex pillows. For one thing, they are extremely comfortable. Latex is quite dense, so it will hold its shape, as well as its softness. This alone makes a latex pillow a better value, because it will last longer than other pillows. Features include:
- Support – Latex pillows have just the right amount of firmness and offer plenty of head and neck support while you are sleeping. They will adjust as you move, and they don’t need to be fluffed like a feather pillow.
- Allergen-Free – Both natural and synthetic latex are resistant to mildew, and are antimicrobial. You don’t have to worry about dust mites or other allergens, making this the ideal type of pillow for anyone who has environmental allergies.
- Durability – Latex may be the more expensive option when it comes to pillows, but it is going to hold up a lot longer than other materials. In fact, whereas a regular pillow should be changed every couple of years, you will likely get at least five or six years out of a good latex pillow.
- Maintenance – Latex is already hypo-allergenic and sterile, so cleaning it isn’t really an issue. All a latex pillow really needs is the occasional spot cleaning with a bit of soap and water, and then be left to dry completely.
Pros and Cons:
So, we’ve talked about how great latex pillows are. But, there are some negative aspects you need to know about before you go pillow shopping. Here are the pros and cons to consider before buying a latex pillow.
- Comfort – A latex pillow is one of the most comfortable pillows you will ever have. It will provide plenty of support for your head and neck, and help you to get a restful sleep every night.
- Heat – Latex does not retain heat. So, you won’t wake up with your head and neck soaked in sweat after sleeping on a latex pillow.
- Price – If you don’t want to spend a fortune on a pillow, don’t get latex. This is one of the most expensive pillow materials on the market. But, it has enough great qualities to make it worth the cost.
There was once a time when buying a new pillow was as easy as going to the department store and just grabbing anything. Today, there are many more options available, and there are pillows that are going to provide a lot more head and neck support than the pillows of yesteryear. Whether you choose to have memory foam or latex, you will be getting a quality pillow that is going to give you just the right amount of support to help you sleep well and wake up pain-free.