Do you experience neck pain or back pain after waking up? Are you wondering “why does the back of my neck always hurt after waking up?” Are you looking for remedies for neck pain while sleeping?
Well, if so, you’ve come to the right place! You may be experiencing neck pain for two reasons — because of poor posture and sleeping position and because of the incorrect pillow. The quality of one’s pillow is often a major cause of neck pain because it can lead to spinal misalignment, which can place a great burden on your neck.
There are a lot of factors to consider when you’re getting a neck pillow. One of the most important qualities of a good pillow for neck pain is that it should be filled with memory foam. This is important because memory foam is the only material that effortlessly conforms to the shape of your body, thus relieving your pain.
In this article, we discuss the proper way to sleep to avoid neck pain and what is the best memory foam pillow for neck pain in 2021.
3 Top Rated Pillows For Neck Pain (Memory Foam)
Elite Rest Contour Sleeper — Editor’s Choice of Best Cervical Pillow
Elite Rest Contour Sleeper is currently the world’s leading choice of cervical pillows for neck pain. This is a contoured pillow that’s 4 inches high at the sides and 2.75 inches high at the depression. This pillow is also ergonomically designed with rounded sides so you can rest your neck on the rounded elevation, especially when you’re sleeping on your side.
This pillow is also made of memory foam slabs. This means the loft height is fixed, but it also means the pillow is completely stable and you don’t have to adjust the memory foam filling. It also conforms to the shape of your neck and body, which provides ultimate support.
In addition to the memory foam filling, this neck pillow comes with a 100% cotton cover. This ensures air circulation and breathability, which keeps the pillow cool even in hot conditions. All things considered, Elite Rest Contour Sleeper is the best neck pillow with a therapeutic value.
Coop Home Goods Premium Loft Pillow — Best Neck Pillow of Shredded Memory Foam
Coop Home Goods Premium Loft Pillow is the best shredded memory foam neck pillow on the market. The best aspect of this pillow is the shredded memory foam filling — this ensures that the pillow conforms to the shape of your neck and supports it adequately.
This pillow doesn’t have the natural curves or contours, but it still bundles up around the neck well enough. The shredded foam can also be manually adjusted — you can remove or add the foam to adjust the loft height of the pillow. As such, this pillow is perfect for all sleeping positions.
Most shredded memory foam pillows have an issue of instability. The shredded foam can move around inside, which necessitates that you regularly readjust the foam filling. However, the stitching on this pillow locks the shredded foam into small pockets so they don’t move around much.
WonderSleep Premium — Best Machine Washable Neck Pillow
WonderSleep Premium is the best machine washable neck pillow made of shredded memory foam. This pillow comes in a pack of 2, which is great if you’re looking for a pair of pillows.
It shares the same qualities as the aforementioned Coop Home Goods Premium Loft Pillow. Since it’s made of shredded memory foam, it conforms to your neck to alleviate neck pain and it can be adjusted.
However, in this case, the shredded foam may sometimes move around inside the pillow so you’ll need to readjust and re-fluff the pillow occasionally.
Why Does the Back of my Neck Always Hurt?
Neck pain often occurs because of poor sleeping positions and because of the wrong choice of pillows. If you sleep in a manner that places undue stress on your neck and doesn’t provide complete spinal alignment, then you’re at high risk of neck pain.
What is the Proper Way to Sleep to Avoid Neck Pain?
The following are some of the best sleeping positions to avoid neck pain:
- Sleeping on your back is the best position to prevent neck pain because it keeps your spine neutral. However, while sleeping on your back, you should choose a pillow with enough loft to elevate your neck into perfect alignment with your body.
- The fetal position, i.e., sleeping on your sides with your knees tucked into your body, is widely considered to be the best position to avoid neck pain. When sleeping in this position, you need a neck pillow that can support your neck and shoulders.
- Side sleeping is also a good position to avoid neck pain, but only if you choose a pillow that supports your neck. It’s best to get a memory foam pillow if you’re a side sleeper.
- The worst position to sleep in is on your stomach. This position leads to spinal misalignment and can strain your neck considerably, especially if you use a pillow. If you sleep in this position, it’s best to use no pillow or a pillow with an extremely low loft.
Factors to Consider when Buying the Best Pillow for Neck Pain
The following are some factors to consider when buying the best pillow for neck pain:
- You should go for a memory foam pillow because it conforms to the shape of your body. You can use either slabs of memory foam or shredded memory foam, depending on whether you want to be able to adjust the loft height.
- Curved, contours, or cervical pillows are the best options for neck pain. These pillows can support the curves of your neck and shoulders, alleviating pain from pressure points.
If you simply consider these qualities, purchase the right neck pillow, and adjust your sleeping position, you won’t suffer from neck pain anymore. We hope this article helps you get rid of the neck pain once and for all!