Are you looking for a completely natural, eco-friendly, and comfortable pillow to rest your head on?
If so, natural latex foam pillows may just be what you’re looking for.
Latex is a material processed from the sap of a rubber tree. There are two different methods of processing natural latex — Dunlop method and Talalay method. Both materials result in different types of texture and are suitable for different purposes.
Natural latex foam is a popular choice for pillows because it conforms to the sleeper’s position, offers neck support, and alleviates pressure points. Furthermore, they’re also extremely durable with the average lifespan of a natural latex pillow being three to four years.
In this article, we discuss the benefits of natural latex foam, qualities of natural latex pillows, and we review the top 3 latex pillows on the market currently.
What is a Natural Latex Pillow Made Of?
As mentioned previously, latex is derived from the residues of old rubber trees. Natural latex foam is then processed in one of two ways — Dunlop Process and Talalay Process.
- Dunlop Process: This is a method in which natural latex is stirred, molded, and baked. The sediment falls to the bottom and makes the natural latex foam relatively heavy and dense.
- Talalay Process: This is a method in which the latex is baked after being vacuum sealed and frozen. In this case, the sediment doesn’t fall to the bottom, which ensures a lighter and more homogenous foam.
Organic or Natural latex foam refers to pillows made of latex that hasn’t been processed with excessive petrochemical components.
Benefits of Natural Latex Foam
The following is a brief overview of the primary benefits of natural latex foam:
- Natural latex foam pillows conform to the shape of your head and neck, thus alleviating pressure points and preventing neck pain.
- They’re ergonomically designed and contour to your shape so they also offer great support.
- Natural latex foam is an extremely durable material with a lifespan of three to four years on average.
- Natural latex foam pillows often have ventilation holes to keep them aerated and facilitate air circulation, which makes them perfect for hot sleepers.
- They don’t make a lot of noise even when you toss and turn in your sleep.
- Natural latex foam pillows require minimal fluffing and maintenance.
- Natural latex pillows don’t contain petrochemicals and they’re made of old rubber tree sap so they’re great for the environment.
Who Should Use Natural Latex Pillows?
Natural latex foam pillows are perfect for the following types of sleepers:
- Side sleepers who need a lot of support for their neck and shoulders.
- Back sleepers who are quite heavy because natural latex foam is firm and doesn’t let your head sink.
- Hot sleepers who need a lot of air circulation and breathability in their pillows.
- Those who suffer from neck pain, shoulder pain, or other such issues because natural latex foam can alleviate these issues.
You should, however, note that latex pillows are prone to off-gassing so they may not be suitable for those who are sensitive to smells. You should also avoid latex pillows if you’re allergic to latex — unless you get a synthetic latex pillow.
Top 3 Best Natural Latex Foam Pillows
Now that you understand all the basics of natural latex foam pillows, the following is a quick review of some of the best latex pillows in 2019.
Elite Rest Slim Sleeper — Best Natural Latex Pillow for Stomach Sleepers
Elite Rest Slim Sleeper is the best natural latex pillow on the market for several reasons. This is a low-loft pillow with a height of only 2.75 inches, which makes it perfect for stomach sleepers and back sleepers alike. When you sleep on your stomach, you need to use an extremely low profile pillow to prevent your neck from twisting. This pillow has a low profile to ensure your neck is aligned with the rest of your body.
Furthermore, this natural latex foam is medium-firm, making it both comfortable and ergonomically suitable. No matter how heavy you may be, you can rest assured that your head won’t sink into the natural latex foam so you won’t wake up with neck pain the next day. This neck support latex foam pillow also has ergonomically rounded sides for comfort.
Finally, this natural latex foam pillow is made with pinhole construction, i.e., it has several holes for ventilation. This ensures smooth air circulation through the pillow’s core, keeping you cool through the night. Even the pillowcase is made of 100% cotton cover, which further increases the pillow’s breathability.
MALOUF Z — Best Natural Latex Pillow for Side Sleepers
MALOUF Z is the best natural latex foam pillow for side sleepers. This pillow is available in different loft sizes, ranging from 4.5 inches to 5.75 inches. As such, it’s perfect for side sleepers and back sleepers, deepening on your loft height preference. It’s also made of pure natural Talalay Latex with no synthetic additives, which makes it extremely fluffy and consistent. It comes with a 100% organic cotton cover that enhances breathability.
OrganicTextiles All Natural Latex Pillow — Most Versatile Natural Latex Pillow
OrganicTextiles All Natural Latex Pillow is the most versatile natural latex pillow available. This pillow is available in several sizes — standard, queen, and king. It’s also available in several firmness levels — soft, firm, and extra firm. As such, you have a lot of options to choose from so you get the natural latex pillow most suitable to your sleeping style. The loft size ranges from 5 inches to 6 inches so this pillow is only suitable for side sleepers. It also comes with a 100% organic cotton cover that’s breathable and keeps you cool at night.