According to research back pain is the second most common reason people visit a doctor. Chances are, you are someone close to you has or is suffering from back pain. The most common causes of back pain are not injury or serious medical conditions but rather they are stress, overuse, poor posture and awkward sleeping positions.
Making small changes to your sleeping habits could help to ease your back pain. Adding a knee pillow can help with back pain but so can various sleeping positions. Before we look at the best knee pillows for back pain, let’s talk about what position is good for sleeping if you have back pain.
The best sleeping positions to relieve back pain
- On your side with a pillow between your legs. Sleeping on your side is the best position if you are suffering from back pain. Adding a pillow between your legs will help with the alignment and ease pressure on your back/
- The fetal position, on your side. Pulling your legs up towards your chest while you are lying on your side will release the tension on your back. This position is particularly helpful if you have a herniated disk.
- Lying with a pillow under your stomach. Sleeping with a pillow under your stomach will help to relieve pain experienced in your lower back. The pillow under your stomach relieves the pressure on your back. If you add a pillow under your neck in this position, stick to a flat memory foam pillow.
- On your back with a pillow under your knees. By placing a pillow under your knees while lying on your back will place less strain on your pressure points. It also helps to keep the spine neutral.
- On your back in a reclined position. Sleeping in a reclined position creates and the angle between your thighs and trunk. The angle that is created reduces the pressure placed on your back. It is not a good idea to sleep sitting up for extended periods but this reclined position definitely can ease the pain.
These positions will help to ease your back pain but all of them require the right type of pillow. Knee pillows are recommended when it comes to easing back pain because they elevate the legs, removing pressure from the lower back. It is important to carefully consider which knee pillow will work best for your needs and sleeping positions.
We have found the three best knee pillows for back pain for 2019.
Xtra-Comfort Bed Wedge Pillow. This is a four in one wedge pillow, making it an obvious choice for the best knee pillow. The triangle-shaped pillow is adjustable allowing you to adjust it to find the best position for you. By elevating your knees and legs you will release pressure from your back and helps to keep the spine neutral. You can place this wedge under your knees or you can use it to elevate your legs.
The supportive memory foam used in this pillow means it maintains its shape and conforms to your body. The cover of this pillow is washable and it comes with a 60-day guarantee. The Xtra-Comfort pillow has also received some positive reviews and comes with a 4.5-star rating on Amazon.
ComfiLife Orthopaedic Pillow. Don’t be put off by how small this pillow appears. It provides the best support for sciatica, back and neck pain. This orthopedic knee pillow fits comfortably between your knees to provide support while you sleep. It has been ergonomically designed to ease the pain and discomfort associated with back pain. This is a good choice for side sleepers as it offers support to the knees while you are lying on your side. Pregnant women will also find relief for back pain with this pillow.
The ComfiLife knee pillow has been made from high-density foam which means it won’t lose its shape and will provide hours of support. It also comes with a removable, machine washable cover. This is definitely a knee pillow to consider for back pain.
DMI Wedge Pillow. The best way to sleep with lower back pain is with a wedge pillow under your knees. The wedge pillow elevates the legs using high-quality memory foam and in doing so eases discomfort in the lower back. The high-density foam is firm enough to provide support but is soft enough to be comfortable and conform to your body.
This is the recommended pillow if you have undergone knee surgery. The cover is made from polyester and can be removed and washed.
We have discussed the best way to lay with back pain as well as how to sleep on your back to relieve discomfort. If you are uncomfortable while you are sleeping, you will toss and turn which will not only result in you waking up in pain but it can also increase your chances of back pain.
The best thing to do to prevent this is to figure out how you are sleeping. Once you know how you are sleeping you can take steps to change your sleeping position or pillow. Certain sleeping positions can relieve your back pain. Knee pillows are known to help back pain and are often recommended by both chiropractors and other medical professions to provide lasting comfort while sleeping.