Our bedrooms are our havens and when they look and feel good we’re guaranteeing ourselves a restful sleep every night.
Pillows play a pivotal role in the bedroom as they’re where we lay our heads down each evening, but there’s no need to put up with boring covers or bland colors when you know how to create a DIY pillow cover.
How to Make A DIY Pillow Cover
You might thank that making DIY cushions cover or pillow covers means you need to be an expert seamstress, but it’s a lot easier than that. To get started, you’ll need to assemble the following items and have a fabric in mind that you want:
- Sewing machine;
Assemble all of your materials together and grab a pillow that you might want to cover. You could choose a rectangular one or a cushion, whatever you have on hand.
- Measure up your pillow insert and then cut the pillow cover on the front side to be the same size.
- Cut two separate pieces for the back side that measure the same width as the front. The length should be half the measurement with 5” added to account for the envelope part of seams and flap.
- Iron the bottom edge of the top back piece at about ½ inch and then sew along it to make the completed edge.
- Do the same thing, but this time on the top edge of the bottom piece.
- Turn the front piece so that the complete side is up and the fabric is in the final position and direction that you want it to be.
- Put the back bottom piece with the right side down and then line up the corners. Repeat with the top back piece so that it ends up overlapping the bottom piece. Insert pins all around to hold it in place.
- Use the zig zag stitch on your sewing machine to go all around the edges to prevent any fraying. Stay as close to the edge as possible when sewing.
- Flip the pillow cover back the right way out and gently slide in your pillow insert to complete the job.
Additional Tips for Bedroom Decoration
Now that you know how to make a pillow cover, you can start to experiment with different sizes and patterns.
Pillows can dramatically change the look of a whole room and it’s a simple and affordable way to give your bedroom a makeover. Here are some other tips for bedroom decorating you might find useful:
Keep it simple
Try to avoid anything that’s going to create a busy look in the bedroom or be too distracting for you to fall asleep in. the bedroom should be about relaxation and somewhere to get away, so keep this in mind as you’re decorating. Avoid crazy wallpapers and paint schemes or anything electronic or noisy that might keep you awake.
Furniture size matters
The size of your bedroom furniture will play a big role in the feel of the entire room. Look at the empty space you have to see what might work and don’t overcrowd. Those with high ceilings will want to play to this with a tall headboard, and those with minimal spaces won’t want a bulky bed and dresser taking up all of the room.
Go all out with linen
Considering how much time we spend in our beds, this is one area that you should splurge in. invest in a quality mattress, pillows, and linen set for your bed and get a luxurious and restful night’s sleep every time. Quality products will last for years so it’s well worth the money.
People store many things in their bedroom and having options for storage will keep it from looking cluttered. In addition to a dresser or wardrobe, you might want to have things like bookcases, trunk or storage bench, bedside table with adequate space, or more. Just don’t let it get overcrowded with your choices.
Lighting plays a huge part in setting the mood of a room. Look at what natural light is offered in your bedroom and then work around that. Don’t get anything too bright like fluorescent lighting, but rather opt for soft LEDs and dimmable lighting options where possible. Lamps are a great addition that give off the perfect amount of light for a bedroom.
Don’t discount how much impact your window coverings will have. Not only should they keep the morning light out adequately but they should also be able to fit with the décor and theme of the rest of the room.
Pillows are a must have for the bedroom because their two main purposes are comfort and support, as well as decoration. With the right pillows for your physical needs and a spruced up pillow cover, you can tackle both important needs at once with this one object.
Ensuring Your Pillow is Working For You
We often discount how important pillows are in the sleeping environment, favoring instead our mattresses and what support they might offer us. However, our pillows do quite a lot of work in promoting a restful sleep and keeping our head and neck supported each night.
Not only can a good pillow completely change the way you sleep, but it’s an affordable and easy fix for the bedroom. Ensure that you shop exactly for your needs or body type when choosing a pillow and you’ll be amazed at how much difference it can make.
We spend a third of our lives sleeping, and possibly, even more, when you count the naps or relaxation times we have in bed. Therefore, any little thing you can do to improve it like making a DIY pillow cover or upgrading to a new pillow will have a tremendous effect.