Our Top Rated Neck Pain Pillows
Around two thirds of people deal with neck pain. Neck pain does not discriminate and while it is more common in middle aged people, it can affect anyone of any age at any time. The pain people experience can vary from slight stiffness when you wake up to chronic neck pain that can impact your daily life. Generally neck pain resolves on its own in a couple of days but sometimes it hangs around for longer and can seriously affect your everyday life. While the pillow you are sleeping one may not be causing your neck pain, it can definitely aggravate or improve it. Sleeping on the right pillow can make a huge difference and supportive pillows, like the Elite Rest Memory Foam pillow, have been designed to support your neck while you sleep and in doing so ease any aches and pains you are experiencing.
Finding the right pillow can seem like a daunting task, there are so many different types of pillows out there. We have done the hard work for you and found some of the best neck pillows out there.
Your Pillow Matters
The type of pillow you sleep on matters more than you might think. The average person spends around one-third of their life sleeping. Imagine spending that much time sleeping on something that is not comfortable?
Finding the right pillow, one that is not too soft or too hard is important and to help you find that perfect pillow we have put together a list of factors you need to consider before picking your next pillow.
- The Filling. What your pillow is filled with will determine the support your neck receives as well as how comfortable the pillow is. You will find pillows filled with a range of different things from feathers to memory foam to latex. While this is a personal preference, it is best to make sure that the filling you choose is supportive and the best fillings for neck pain support are memory foam, polyester fill and latex.
- Change it. Do you know how old your pillow is? If you can’t remember then it is probably time for a change. Ideally you need to be changing your pillow at least every 2 years. Pillows lose their support over time which is why it is important to change them regularly.
- Wash your pillow. When last did you wash your pillow? Most pillows are machine washable, making it easy to pop them in your washing machine every 6 months.
It might take some time to find the right pillow but it will be time well spent because it will allow you to get a good night’s sleep and wake up pain free.
Easing Neck Pain
Switching out your pillow for a new supportive one is one way to try to ease your neck pain but if it is not helping you could try one of the following things.
- Avoid sleeping on your stomach. Try to either sleep on your back or on your side as these are the ideal sleep positions if you are dealing with neck pain.
- Concentrate on your overall posture when you are standing or sitting. What you want to achieve is your shoulders hovering directly over your hips and your ears must be over your shoulders.
- Stretch your neck. This is so important if you are sitting behind a computer screen or driving long distances. Stretch for at least 20-30 minutes.
- Change up the bags you are using. If you are carrying heavy loads on a daily basis, get a backpack or a rolling suitcase. A backpack allows the weight to be evenly distributed whereas a bag slung over your shoulder places pressure on your neck and shoulders.
- You can use heat or ice to reduce neck pain – a hot shower could also help if you direct the water to the painful area.
If your neck pain persists or gets worse it is best to seek medical advice.
5 Top Rated Pillows for Neck Pain
Made from shredded memory foam means that you can adjust this pillow to ensure it provides you with the support you need. You can add filling in if you need a little more support but if you are a stomach sleeper then you can take the foam out and you will have a comfortable pillow. The memory foam will ensure that your head, neck and shoulders are all supported and in doing so will relieve pain and pressure and maintain the natural curve of your spine. This pillow is made from a breathable fabric so you won’t overheat and the cover can be easily removed.
This pillow comes with the approval of a chiropractor, making it a really great pillow to help you deal with your neck and shoulder pain. Not only will you get a comfortable night’s sleep with this pillow but you will also get a restful night’s sleep and this is because your neck and head will be correctly aligned while you sleep. The advantage of this pillow is that it has been designed and tested by a chiropractor to ensure that you receive the support you need and the sleep you deserve. The two different height contours means this pillow will work for side sleepers, back sleepers and stomach sleepers.
Stomach sleepers have a unique set of needs when it comes to finding the right pillow. Unlike side and back sleepers, stomach sleepers need a thin pillow. The reasons for this is that when you sleep on your stomach you don’t want your neck to be pushed too far back as this places stress and strain on your back and neck. This pillow is only 2.75 inches, making it perfect for stomach sleepers. It has been designed with comfort and the ergonomic edges ensure that your neck is supported all through the night. It comes with pin-hole technology which means it will regulate the temperature, ensuring you don’t overheat.
Never judge a pillow by its appearance, well at least not this pillow. With this pillow you receive therapeutic relief from neck pain. It has been ergonomically designed to perfectly support your head and neck and ensure your spine is aligned. The benefit of this is that you will fall asleep faster because your body is relaxed and once you are asleep you will stay asleep. This pillow offers both support and comfort. Made from breathable fabric this pillow will not cause you to overheat during the night and the cover of the pillow is hypoallergenic and can be machine washed.
Doctors often recommend this pillow to their patients who are struggling with neck pain or are recovering from an injury. This pillow can be used anywhere, anytime and can be transported easily and this allows you to make sure your neck is supported wherever you are. This pillow is not too hard or too soft but provides you with just the right amount of support and relief that you need. You can use this pillow under your neck or under your ankles, knees or back.
While neck pain is pretty common it is not something you have to just live with. There are a few things you can try to ease any neck pain you might experience. One of these ways is by changing your pillow for a more supportive neck pillow, think Elite Rest Memory Foam Pillow. Finding the right pillow can be a life changing experience that results in wonderful, restorative sleep – simply click any one of the links on this page to transform your sleep.