Our spine is naturally designed to maintain a gentle curvature in the back. The ideal sitting posture is one in which your back is straight, but your lower back has a slightly concave hollow. However, most of us can’t maintain that posture and slouch while sitting.
While slouching may seem more comfortable or natural, it places incredible pressure on the lower back, which can lead to back pain. That’s where elastic belt ergonomic lumbar pillows come in. They apply gentle pressure against your lower back to ensure your spine is always aligned.
In this article, we discuss what are the best sellers in lumbar pillows on Amazon in 2021.
Advantages of Lumbar Pillows
Before we give you an overview of the best lumbar pillows on Amazon, let’s briefly discuss the advantages of lumbar pillows.
- Back Support: Most adjustable elastic belt ergonomic lumbar pillows are flexible and made of memory foam, so they conform to your back and offer optimal support.
- Relaxation: Back lumbar pillows allow us to maintain a straight spine while sitting, while also helping us relax comfortably.
- Pain Relief: Extended periods of poor posture and back muscle fatigue can lead to shooting pains, which can lead to chronic back pain. Lumbar pillows gradually ensure spinal alignment and help you deal with back pain.
- Physician-Recommended: Not only are lumbar pillows approved by the FDA, but they’re often recommended by physicians as a support pillow for patients suffering from back pain.
- Portable: Back lumbar pillows are highly portable, which means you can use them as office pillows, computer chair pillows, car pillows while driving, and even travel pillows.
- Financially Responsible: Lumbar pillows are an extremely reasonable means of ensuring you don’t have to later opt for serious and expensive back pain treatments.
Features of Lumbar Pillows
The following are the two essential features of lumbar back pillows.
- Cushion: The cushion is the primary feature that offers lumbar pillows their support. While the lumbar pillow is generally covered in fabric, the pillow insert is made of memory foam, polyester, or other soft materials that conform to the shape of your back.
- Cooling Features: Since your back will rest against the pillow for an extended period, it must have some cooling features. Without cooling features, your back will get all sweaty after a while. The best lumbar pillows should have cooling gel memory foam or at least a well-ventilated and breathable cover.
Factors to Consider when Buying Lumbar Pillows
The following are some of the most important factors to consider when buying lumbar pillows.
- Back Support: The most important factor to consider is the type of back support it offers. The primary function of a lumbar pillow is to offer back support — as such, the pillow should facilitate spinal alignment without discomfort.
- Weight: The pillow should also have the right weight and size for your body. Lumbar pillows should only exert pressure on your lower back — as such, the pillow should be the ideal size to only cover that region. If the lumbar pillow is too large for your body, it may apply pressure on your complete back, which won’t be effective or helpful.
- Ergonomic: You must look for an ergonomic lumbar pillow because comfort is crucial.
- Elastic Belt: The pillow must have an adjustable elastic belt with which you can strap the lumbar pillow to the back of your computer chair or car seat. Without an elastic belt, the lumbar pillow will keep shifting, which can be uncomfortable and distracting. You need an adjustable elastic belt to ensure it’s strapped correctly.
- Material: The material of the lumbar pillow is extremely important because different types of materials respond to your body differently. Some of the most popular lumbar pillow materials are memory foam, polyester, and buckwheat. However, you should ideally look for memory foam lumbar pillows.
- Cover: The lumbar pillow should come with a highly-breathable, ventilated, and removable pillow cover.
Best Lumbar Pillows on Amazon
Elite Rest Ultra Slim Sleeper is one of the best lumbar pillows on Amazon because it can double as a car seat/ computer chair lumbar pillow and also a sleeping pillow. This is an extremely thin pillow with a loft height of only 2.5 inches and an ergonomically curved surface. As such, you can place this pillow on your computer chair or car seat while sitting. The curved memory foam surface will gently press against your lower back and ensure optimal support. You can also rest this lumbar pillow under your back while sleeping to ensure spinal alignment.
Desk Jockey Lumbar Pillow is the best lumbar seat cushion on the market. This is a memory foam pillow with an adjustable elastic belt and ergonomic design. The back pillow can be strapped against your computer chair or car seat. The memory foam conforms to the shape of your back and offers optimal support.
ERGO-Pedic Lower Back Pain Cushion is the best back pain relief cushion on the market. This memory foam pillow has an adjustable elastic belt with which you can secure it to the back of your car seat. It’s made of memory foam and has a premium mesh cover that facilitates air circulation to keep you cool and prevent back sweats.
The ideal sitting posture is one in which your back is straight, shoulders are rolled back, knees are in a right angle with your hips, and your lower back is hollowed gently. However, most people can’t maintain this position and end up slouching, which places enormous stress on your back muscles, which can eventually lead to chronic back pain. Lumbar pillows help ensure that your spine is perfectly aligned — the convex shape of lumbar pillows helps maintain the gentle curvature of your lower back. Elite Rest Ultra Slim Sleeper is currently one of the best sellers in lumbar pillows on Amazon because it’s a memory foam pillow with a curved top and a low loft height of only 2.5 inches, making it the perfect lumbar pillow for back sleepers. Desk Jockey Lumbar Pillow is the best lumbar pillow for sitting because it’s a memory foam lumbar cushion with an adjustable elastic belt and ergonomic design.