The Ultimate Pillows for Side Sleepers
What position do you sleep in? Do you like to curl up on your side? Or is lying flat on your back most comfortable for you? Perhaps you are one of the few people who prefer sleeping on their belly? Whatever position you are sleeping in can have an effect on the quality and quantity of sleep you are getting – especially if your body does not receive the support it needs for the position you have chosen. If you are waking up with neck pain, it is a good idea to check your sleep arrangement – how you are sleeping, the pillow you are using and the mattress you are sleeping. Side sleeping is one of the best positions to sleep in, provided you ensure your body has the right amount of support from a pillow like Elite Rests Contour Pillow. Apart from helping ease your neck pain, there are many other benefits to sleeping on your side. We take a look at some of these benefits as well as what pillows are best for side sleepers.
Why Side Sleeping is Good for You?
The position that you sleep in may be affecting your sleep more than you think. Few people really pay attention to how they sleep, they get into bed and fall asleep. It only really becomes something you pay attention to when you start waking up in pain or you find yourself struggling to sleep. While side sleeping is considered to be one of the best sleeping positions, it is also important that you make sure your body is correctly aligned while you sleep on your side. If your body is not aligned while you are sleeping then you will find yourself still waking up with a sore neck.
An easy way to ensure that your body is aligned as a side sleeper is to invest in a pillow that has been specifically designed for side sleepers. This might include an additional pillow that is placed between your legs. Finding the correct pillow/s to sleep on will have a huge impact on any neck or back pain you may be experiencing. Sleeping on your side also helps to reduce the pain that is associated with fibromyalgia and other chronic pain.
Side sleeping also has the following benefits:
- You will notice a reduction in snoring as side sleeping opens up your airways and in doing so makes it easier for you to breathe and you will then sleep better.
- You will improve your brain health. We know that a good night’s sleep can prevent cognitive issues but researches have also found that side sleeping can improve your brain health.
- Your gut health will improve. Sleeping on your side will help with conditions like heartburn, constipation and bloating and can improve digestion and improve your overall gut health.
Choosing the Right Pillow for Side Sleepers
When you start looking for a new pillow, you need to focus on looking for pillows that are suitable for side sleepers. The reason for this is that these pillows have been designed to provide the support that side sleepers need.
When you are considering a pillow, keep the following in mind.
- The height of the pillow. This is also referred to as the loft of the pillow and some consider this to be the most important factor to consider. Ideally a side sleeper needs a medium to high pillow that allows the head and neck enough cushioning without letting it sink too low.
- The support of the pillow. As a side sleeper you want a pillow that maintains an even surface for your head and neck. This is also an important consideration because you want a pillow that does not allow the head to sink too much.
- The firmness of the pillow. If you choose a pillow that is too soft, it will sink under your head while a pillow that is too firm will result in neck and shoulder pain. While everyone has their own personal preference, it is best for side sleepers to opt for pillows with a mid-level firmness.
- Pressure relief. Side sleepers may develop pressure points around the neck and shoulders if their spine is not in proper alignment. It is for this reason that side sleepers invest in a pillow that contours to their body.
The most important thing to remember is that you should never rush into buying a pillow, it is a bigger decision that you might think.
The Best Pillows for Side Sleepers
To make it easier for you to find the right pillow as a side sleeper, we have found three of the best pillows for you to consider.
The reason we love this pillow is because it is an adjustable pillow. This means that you can adjust it to suit your needs and this is always a good idea, especially if you are not sure exactly how you sleep. This pillow comes, like a pancake, with many layers and each layer can be removed creating a lower loft, or a higher one depending on the support you need. Once you have found the right height, this pillow will confirm to your body’s contours, making sure that you are aligned and supported while you sleep.
Finding a supportive pillow does not mean that you have to sacrifice on luxury or comfort. This pillow combines luxury, support and comfort seamlessly. It is filled with poly gel-filled fiber that will correctly align your spine and provide your body with the support it needs while you sleep. From the moment you lay your head on this pillow, you will feel the luxury and comfort envelop you, allowing you to drift off to dreamland and wake up refreshed and pain free. The soft, cotton cover of this pillow can be removed and is machine washable.
This pillow is all but guaranteed to answer all of your sleeping problems. The ergonomic design of this pillow provides side sleepers with the support that they need. The contoured design of the pillow ensures your head is cradled gently while your neck is supported as you sleep on your side. Only the best memory foam has been used to make this pillow and this means the pillow will mold to the shape of your head and neck, providing you with the perfect support so that you can sleep soundly. This pillow offers you the best in both support and comfort.
Finding the right pillow that supports how you sleep can be life changing. As a side sleeper your needs are different to those of back and belly sleepers. It is important to make sure you find a pillow, like the Elite Rest Memory Foam pillow, that has been designed specifically for side sleepers so that you can wake up refreshed and rejuvenated. Click on any of the links on this page and you will find a pillow perfect for side sleepers.