Sleeping on your side may have more benefits than you realized. Many people believe that sleeping on your back is one of the best sleeping positions, but researchers have found that side sleeping may be as good for you as sleeping on our back.
There are benefits to sleeping on your side, provided you sleep in the right position that allows for your spine and neck to be correctly aligned. If you do not have the correct support, you will wake up in pain.
Benefits of Side Sleeping
Sleeping on your side can improve both the quality and quantity of your sleep.
Some of the benefits of side sleeping are;
- It can reduce both joint and lower back pain, provided you have the correct body alignment and support.
- It can also help to reduce the chronic pain associated with conditions like fibromyalgia.
- It can help to reduce snoring.
- Research has shown that side sleeping may help with your overall brain health.
- Gut health is also improved when you sleep on your side. Sleeping on your side can help your digestive system to function optimally and this, in turn, will reduce heartburn, bloating, and constipation.
Which Side is the Best Side to Sleep On
Believe it or not, there is a wrong and a right side to sleep on. It is recommended that when you sleep on your side, you sleep on your left side. This is because of where your organs are located. Your stomach’s natural position is on the left and side and this allows for your food to be digested more effectively. Sleeping on the left side also ensures that there is a healthy flow of blood which affects your digestive system and decreases heartburn and acid reflux.
When you sleep on your right side, then any food you are trying to digest is working against gravity and this will result in heartburn.
Tips for Sleeping on your Side
Even if your personal preference has always been sleeping on your side it is a good idea to take note of these tips so that you are correctly aligned when you sleep.
- Opt for a firm mattress and a firm pillow.
- Roll onto your left side and make sure that your ears are in line with your shoulders.
- Make sure your arms and hands are parallel to your sides.
- Placing a firm pillow between your knees helps to align your hips and knees and is particularly helpful if you have lower back pain.
- Lifting your knees up can help to further reduce pressure on your back.
5 of the Best Pillows for Side Sleepers
1. Coisum Cervical Pillow
Designed specifically for side sleepers this pillow will, without a doubt provide you with the support you need when sleeping on your side. It comes with two different sides, the lower sides work best for side sleepers because there is a cutout area where you can place your arms, allowing for your body to be correctly aligned. This cervical pillow has been made from a high-quality medium firmness memory foam that will fit perfectly into your neck so that you sleep soundly all night long. You will be hard-pressed to find an alternative pillow that provides you with this level of support.
2. Pancake Pillow
Whatever position you sleep in, an adjustable pillow is always a good idea. The pancake pillow comes with 6 individual luxury pillows that you can remove or add together to create a pillow that is the right height for you. Everyone sleeps differently, even when they sleep on the same side, which is why having an adjustable pillow helps to find the perfect sleeping pillow. The outer cover of this pillow is removable and machine washable
3. Dream North Cotton Pillows
This pillow is all about luxury and support. It combines a luxurious cotton pillow with just the right amount of firmness. When you curl up with this pillow you will rest easy knowing your body is correctly aligned while you sleep. Your comfort is guaranteed thanks to the poly gel-filled fiber used in this pillow. As a side sleeper, your head will be comfortably supported with this pillow.
4. Sable Down Alternative Pillows
Filled with premium plush down alternatives this adjustable pillow will make sure you have the best night’s sleep. You can customize the pillow by adjusting the height to suit your needs. The filling used in this pillow will adjust and shape itself to your posture and sleeping position, ensuring you are supported all through the night. This is a great alternative to a feather pillow
5. Elite Rest Contour Sleeper
When you lay your head on this memory foam pillow, you will fall asleep instantly. While you are sleeping your neck and shoulders will receive the right amount of support, leaving you refreshed and recharged when you wake up. The contour design conforms to the natural curve of your body to support your neck, head, and shoulders. This pillow is the perfect mix of support and comfort,