When it comes time to shop for a new mattress, there are many things to consider. You want something that is comfortable, and that also gives you plenty of support for your spine. You also want something that is going to last for at least seven or eight years, and that isn’t going to break the bank. Two mattresses that fit all of these criteria are the Sleep Number mattresses and the Personal Comfort mattress. Let’s take a look at both and see what they have to offer.
Most mattresses are made with either coils, springs, memory foam, or even latex. Some use toppers which is also a popular option. The Sleep Number mattresses have taken mattress technology in a whole new direction. Do you remember sleeping on air mattresses when you were camping? Well, this is the same idea, only it has been vastly improved upon to create one of the most comfortable mattresses you will ever sleep on, regardless of your favorite sleeping position.
This mattress is constructed with unique rubber air chambers. These chambers can be adjusted so you have the perfect level of comfort and support for you. The best part is, both sides can be adjusted independently, do your partner can have their perfect comfort level as well. Other features include:
- Frames – While the Sleep Number mattresses do not come with frames, they are adaptable and will fit onto any existing frame you already have. You won’t have to buy a complete new bed to start enjoying your new mattress right away.
- Air Chambers – The adjustable inner air chambers allow each side of the mattress to be adjusted for ideal support and comfort levels. This is something you won’t find in most other mattresses, although there are other models being introduced (we will discuss one of those mattresses next).
- Construction – In addition to the air chambers, this mattress is constructed with several layers of foam, fabric, and fire-resistant materials. The side sections are sewn separately rather than the cover being one large piece of fabric. They are attached after the air chambers are placed inside.
- Warranty – Sleep Number mattresses come with a 25-year warranty that guarantees against any manufacturer defects. It is a durable mattress that you can expect to last for many years without any sagging.
Sleep Number mattresses have many great features, but they are not perfect, just like anything else in this world. We do need to talk about the pros and cons you need to consider before buying this mattress. The more you know, the better able you will be to make the best choice.
- Upgrades – There are many upgrades you can make to your Sleep Number mattress. These include a heating pad that goes underneath the mattress, and a waterproof pad to go on top. This adds comfort and warmth, without making you too hot.
- Temperature – Because the chambers are filled with air, your body heat isn’t going to be absorbed. This means that you will not sleep too hot which can be a big deal, especially for side sleepers. Other mattresses cannot boast this same thing.
- Comfort – You can adjust both sides to get the perfect level of comfort. You and your partner can enjoy just the right firmness for total body support while you are sleeping.
Personal Comfort Mattresses:
Now we come to the Personal Comfort mattress. This mattress relies on the same inner air chamber technology as the Sleep Number mattresses. The biggest difference is the price. Personal Comfort is less expensive. But, is it as good?
The Personal Comfort mattresses adjust with a dual touch screen. This allows you to find the perfect number setting for a comfortable sleep. The remote has a pressure scale that is recognized by the medical community, to make sure that the levels are safe and reliable. Features include:
- App – You can control the levels on these mattresses via your iPhone with an iOS or Android app. This is the only number mattress that has a downloadable app. The Bluetooth module allows you to sync your phone with your mattress.
- Upgrades – There are many upgrades you can get, including a reversible-top, two-sided mattress cover and extended warranties. These upgrades only apply to the Advanced and Elegance mattress models.
- Risk-Free Trial – The Personal Comfort risk-free trial period is a bit longer than most at 120 nights. If you aren’t completely satisfied during this time, you can send it back for a full refund. We doubt you will want to though.
- All Sizes – These mattresses are available in all sizes, including queen, king, and California king. You can have your new mattress delivered and set up. Be sure to inquire about the White Glove in-home service.
We’ve talked about the many great features of the Personal Comfort mattresses. Like any mattress, there are some things that people don’t like. Here are the pros and cons to consider before making a purchase.
- Made in the USA – These mattresses are made in the US by an FDA-registered medical device manufacturer.
- Price – On average, you are going to spend a few hundred dollars less on a Personal Comfort mattress than other major brands
- Components – All of the mechanical components are completely replaceable. So, when the pump eventually does break down, you can have it repaired without having to replace it.
If you are interested in a bed with air chamber technology, both the Sleep Number and the Personal Comfort mattresses are excellent options to consider. They both use adjustable air chambers, and they both offer varying levels of comfort and support. The biggest difference is the price, but either Mattress would make a find addition to your bedroom.