When you are thinking about buying a new mattress, it can be difficult to make the right choice. After all, this is something that you are going to be spending several hours sleeping on every night for the next seven to 10 years. With so many brands to choose from, it can be difficult to know which one is going to be best for you. Today, we are going to discuss Sleep Number and memory foam mattresses, and find out what makes both so popular.
Sleep Number Mattresses:
There are several layers to a Sleep Number mattress, beginning with the padded top. The various layers, which include foam, fabrics, and fire-resistant materials, not only offer total comfort, but also durability. These mattresses do not use coils for support (like these), nor are they made completely from foam. They actually have air chambers, which allow you to choose your level of support and comfort.
A Sleep Number mattress is not only durable, it is extremely comfortable as shown when comparing them to other brands. The mattress cover is made in separate pieces, with side panels that are stitched on after the air chambers are put in place. These chambers are adjustable with an external pump, allowing you to adjust both sides. Features include:
- Air Chambers – The rubber air chambers are connected to an air pump, which is located on the outside, but is not bulky or intrusive. They let two sleepers decide just how much support they want, so both are comfortable all night.
- Compatibility – You don’t have to buy a special frame for the sleep number mattress. It can fit onto virtually any bed frame. So, you can use your existing bed frame and save yourself a lot of money.
- Durability – The many layers of materials, in addition to the separately stitched side panels, ensure that these mattresses are going to be durable and will last for several years without sagging.
- Accessories – You can get some accessories that will make the Sleep Number mattress even more comfortable. These include a waterproof pad to lay on top of the mattress, as well as a heating mattress pad that goes underneath.
Every product has its little quirks that some customers don’t like. Sleep Number mattresses are no different. There are some negatives to talk about as well. Let’s examine the pros and cons about owning a Sleep Number mattress.
- Comfort – Because you are able to adjust both sides of the mattress separately, you and your partner can both choose your own perfect comfort levels. You will both sleep better at night, because you can decide the level of firmness you each want.
- Temperature – A lot of mattresses, including memory foam mattresses, retain heat and don’t help to keep you cool. Sleep Number mattresses are filled with air, and they stay nice and cool.
Memory Foam Mattresses:
Next we look at mattresses made from memory foam. This material was originally designed for NASA to be used for airplane seats, both because it is comfortable and because of the support it offers. Because it molds to your body, it will respond to all of the pressure points, providing you with total comfort because body weight is properly distributed.
Some memory foam mattresses can be found on a budget basis, coming in at under $500.00. Be prepared to spend up to $2,000 on your memory foam mattress though, as these numbers aren’t realistic for most memory foam models.
A memory foam mattress is loaded with features that make it one of the more popular types of mattresses available on the market today. For one thing, it gives you support because it molds to your body, ensuring that your head, neck, and spine are in alignment. Other features include:
- Better Sleep – Because your body will be completely supported, you are going to be more comfortable. You will sleep better, and wake up with fewer aches and pains. Many owners report having next to no pain in the mornings since buying their memory foam mattresses.
- Better Breathing – If you snore or have other nighttime breathing issues, one of these mattresses can help. If you combine your mattress with a memory foam, you will be able to have your head somewhat upright, eliminating snoring.
- Motion – When someone gets out of bed, it tends to disturb anyone sleeping next to them. This is not the case with a memory foam mattress. It has next to nothing in the way of motion transfer, so you can move around without disturbing your partner.
- Fewer Allergies – Anyone who suffers from environmental allergies can benefit from having a memory foam mattress. This material is hypo-allergenic, and is resistant to dust, dust mites, etc. This is also going to help you breathe better at night.
Okay, so this sounds like a pretty terrific mattress. Yes, it is comfortable, and it provides plenty of support for your head, neck, and spine. But, it isn’t perfect. In fact, there are things that some users do complain about. Here are the pros and cons to think about before buying a new mattress.
- Durability – These mattresses are durable, and they don’t end up sagging in two or three years. They also don’t require much maintenance besides the occasional cleaning with soap and water.
- Warranty – Most traditional mattresses need to be replaced after seven or eight years. A memory foam mattress usually has a 10-25 year warranty, so you can expect it to last for many years before it will start to sag or look bad.
Before you rush out and buy a new mattress, you really do need to do your homework. This is an expensive purchase, so you need to make sure that you are getting something that you will still love sleeping on after a few years. Both a Sleep Number mattress and a memory foam mattress are excellent options. They provide support where you need it, and both are quite comfortable. The most important thing is what you find the most comfortable, and either of these mattresses are excellent choices.