Is your mattress not giving you all of the support and comfort that you need for a great night’s sleep? If so, don’t rush right out and buy a new mattress. If your mattress isn’t very old, you probably don’t need a new one. Instead, you can save a lot of money by simply buying a new mattress topper. The problem is deciding whether to get a traditional egg crate mattress topper or one made from memory foam. Today we are going to discuss the two types of mattress toppers and see what both have to offer. Many manufacturers offer toppers just like you have a number of brands that compete in the mattress space.
Memory Foam Mattress Toppers:
We will start with memory foam mattress toppers. In the last 20 years or so, these toppers have really taken off. In fact, this material is now one of the most popular used in mattress toppers. It is the next best thing to having an expensive memory foam mattress. You get the comfort and the support, but you don’t have to pay the high price.
Features & Benefits:
Memory foam was created for NASA to be used in airplane seats. It is durable and comfortable, and it conforms to your body. Not only is it extremely comfortable, it offers total support, and when you sleep on it, your spine stays in alignment. Features of memory foam mattress toppers include:
- Motion Transfer – Memory foam helps to reduce the noise and movement that happens when someone moves around in bed. You won’t be disturbed if your partner gets up or tosses and turns at night. This is great for people that sleep on their side.
- Comfort – Because memory foam contours to your body, a mattress topper made of this material is going to increase your comfort level. Your body will be better supported, and you will feel more comfortable and relax, helping you to sleep better.
- Firmness – Memory foam comes in many different densities. No matter how firm you need your mattress to be, you can be sure that there is a memory foam topper that will suit your needs perfectly.
- Durability – Most memory foam mattress toppers come with great warranties. This is because it is a quality material that is made to last. You can expect to get many years out of a memory foam mattress topper.
Pros and Cons:
Just because memory foam is pretty great, it doesn’t mean that it doesn’t have any negative qualities. For the most part, it is an excellent material that is perfect for bedding products. Here are the pros and cons to consider about memory foam mattress toppers.
Memory Foam Topper Pros:
- Price – While memory foam is expensive, a new mattress topper is a lot less expensive than an entire new mattress. You will get the support and comfort you need, at a price you can afford.
- Less Pain – If you suffer from back pain, one of these mattress toppers may be just the thing you need. It will help to keep your head and neck aligned with your spine, and relieve back pain.
Memory Foam Topper Cons:
- Odor – When you first take your memory foam mattress topper out of the packaging, it is likely to have a strong chemical odor. It will take a few days for this odor to completely go away.
Egg Crate Mattress Toppers:
Egg crate mattress toppers are called that because they look just like the bottom part of an egg crate. Now, one would think that the bumps go on the bottom, just like with an egg crate. It is actually just the opposite. They are made to go on the top, to improve air flow and keep your body temperature regulated while you are sleeping.
Egg Crate Topper Features:
This kind of mattress topper can be made from a variety of types of foam. Some are even made from memory foam, so you get the best of both worlds while sleeping. The price of these toppers can vary, depending on the type of foam used. Features include:
- Lightweight – You can’t take your mattress on vacation with you, but you can take your egg crate mattress topper. They are lightweight and portable. You can roll them up and take them just about anywhere. They are ideal for camping.
- Heat – You are going to be able to stay nice and cool at night when you use an egg crate mattress topper. The bumps allow for better air flow, so your body temperature will stay regulated and you will have a comfortable sleep.
- Comfort – You can make your mattress a lot more comfortable when you use an egg crate topper. If you get one that is made out of memory foam, you will have even more comfort, and your body will be better supported.
- Price – You can get a decent egg crate mattress topper for less than $100, which is a lot better than spending a thousand or more on a new mattress. Expect to pay a little more if you choose a topper made from memory foam.
Egg Crate Pros and Cons:
Now it is time to take a look at the not so great things about egg crate mattress toppers. While they are an inexpensive and comfortable alternative to a new mattress, they are not always everything that they are cracked up to be. Let’s take a look at the pros and cons.
- Value – You can get a lot of use out of an egg crate mattress topper. Not only will you use it at home, you will take it with you to motels, on camping trips, etc. It is also less expensive than a memory foam mattress topper.
- Better Sleep – Because your body will have more support, and the bumps provide better air flow, you will find yourself sleeping a lot better at night.
If you want to be more comfortable at night and sleep better, but you aren’t ready to invest in a new mattress, a mattress topper is an excellent option. Whether you choose a memory foam topper, or an egg crate mattress topper, you are going to be happy. You can even combine the two and get the best of both worlds: an egg crate mattress topper made from memory foam.