You spend approximately seven to eight hours each night in bed. In order to get the best night’s sleep every night, and to not wake up stiff and sore every morning, you need to have a quality mattress. But, most of the bigger name brands offer products that cost well over $1,000, which just isn’t affordable for everyone.
Luckily there are some newer, competing brands out there making comparable products at much lower prices. Two of our favorites are Ghostbed and Purple mattresses. Let’s see how they compare.
Ghostbed Mattress Features:
First we are going to discuss the Ghostbed mattress. This 10” thick mattress is made from a combination of materials, and is designed for universal comfort, no matter your preferred sleeping position. It also helps to keep your body at just the right temperature all night long. Specs include:
- Top Layer – One and a half inches of aerated latex foam
- Middle Layer – Two inches of gel memory foam
- Bottom Layer – Seven and a half inches of high density support foam
The cover is made from 100 percent polyester. It is soft and stretchy, and bounces right back into its shape after being pulled. It is also thin, which helps to improve airflow. The side panels of this mattress are a combination of polypropylene and polyester. Other features include:
- Firmness – This mattress rates a 6.5 on a firmness scale of 1-10. This firmness is the most common, which is why it is considered to be universally comfortable.
- Cooling – The top layer is latex, and this is going to help keep your body temperature regulated while you are sleeping.
- Trial Period – You can try the Ghostbed mattress for 101 nights, risk-free. If you aren’t satisfied, you can return it for a full refund.
- Foam Combo – The combination of latex over memory foam offers much more support than a mattress made with just memory foam.
- Motion Transfer – Because these mattresses are made of foam, there is little to no motion transfer. When someone gets up, the other person in the bed won’t be disturbed.
Now that we’ve looked at brand features, let’s take a look at some of the positive benefits that Ghostbed has.
- Appearance – This is an attractive mattress, with a sleek and modern design to fit in with any bedroom décor.
- Warranty – The Ghostbed mattress comes with a 10-year warranty against manufacturer defects.
- Foundation – Unlike other, similar mattresses, you have the option to purchase a foundation to go with the Ghostbed mattress, which will give you even more support.
- Value – Overall, at around $1,000, this mattress is much lower priced than similar mattresses from the well-known brands.
Purple Mattress Features:
The next mattress we are going to discuss is the Purple mattress. This mattress is plenty thick at 9.5 inches, and it is a combination of foam and polymer. Together, these materials offer complete support, and the mattresses are extremely comfortable, allowing you to enjoy sleeping in any position.
Purple Mattress Features:
This mattress is extremely durable, and you can expect one to last up to 10 years. They rate about a 6.5 on a firmness scale of 1-10. The cover is made from a polyester/polyester-lycra/viscose blend that is cool and comfortable. Spec include:
- Top Layer – Two inches of hyper-elastic polymer
- Middle Layer – Three and a half inches of polyurethane foam
- Bottom Layer – four inches of polyurethane foam
This is a plainer looking mattress, white with a diamond pattern scattered about. But, looks aren’t everything. In fact, who really cares how pretty it is, as long as you always get a good night’s sleep? The polymer top layer gives the bed an almost bouncy feeling, yet it is still firm and supportive. Other features include:
- Airflow – This is an incredibly cool mattress on hot summer nights, but it will help you to retain just enough heat when it is cold in the winter.
- Response – The memory foam allows the Purple mattress to pretty much instantly mold to your body, giving just the right amount of support to the areas that need it the most.
- Firmness – This mattress offers a medium-firm feel, and is considered to be at a universal comfort level.
- Elasticity – Your body will feel like it is getting a hug every night, because this mattress will contour to you.
- Comfort – The softness and support this mattress offers will allow you to be comfortable all night long, in any sleeping position.
Let’s take a look at some of the primary benefits that the Purple Mattress brand offers.
Purple Mattress Pros:
- Comfort – You will be hard-pressed to find a more expensive mattress that is more comfortable than the Purple mattress.
- Price – You can get a queen size Purple mattress for around $1,000, much less than what you would spend on comparable mattresses.
- Warranty – There is a 10-year warranty, and you get to try this mattress risk-free for 100 nights to decide if it is right for you.
If you are in the market for a new mattress in the mid-price range, both the Ghostbed and the Purple mattresses are excellent options. They have similar qualities, and are pretty much in the same price range. You can’t go wrong with either of these mattresses.
The biggest problem could be availability, especially with the Purple, because it is such a popular mattress model. In the end, you are going to get what you are really looking for, and that is a truly great night’s sleep, every single night.